16 Jan RULIN’S ACHIEVEMENTS UNDER CUBS PROJECT
The Community Based Support for OVC in Nigeria (CUBS) project is a USAID, PEPFAR, funded intervention, led by Management Sciences for Health (MSH) in 11 Nigerian States, in partnership with Africare. CUBS works to strengthen the capacity of Nigerian NGOs by training their teams in proposal development, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and financial management.
- RULIN has identified and enrolled 1,546 (M=755, F=791) vulnerable children.
- RULIN has uploaded 1,375 (M=638, F=737) vulnerable children’s information into NOMIS.
Psychosocial Support (PSS)
- 1,269 (M=619, F=650) vulnerable children received PSS through recreational, life building skills and one-on one counseling.
- 325 (M=184, F=141) vulnerable children received exercise books, pencils, pens and ruler.
- RULIN now offers University education grant to qualified vulnerable children with donations from philanthropist. Two older vulnerable children are currently enjoying the grant. Each grantee received seventy thousand Naira (N70, 000) per academic year.
- 1, 129 (M=537, F=592) vulnerable children received treatment for minor ailments, HCT and health education
- 193 (M=103, F=94) vulnerable children received nutritional support such as
rice, beans, yam and nutrition education.
Shelter and Care Services
- 143 vulnerable children (M=80 F=63) received bathing soaps, bar soaps, sanitary pads and hygiene education.
- RULIN facilitated the registration and collection of sixty-two (62) birth certificates (M=30 F32)
Household Economic Strengthening Support:
- Sixty –six (66) vulnerable female Head of households have been empowered on CUBS and 18 by RULIN.
- RULIN has also set aside N 400,000 for subsequent IGA empowerment.
- 330 female caregivers were trained on psychosocial support, reproductive health and nutrition.
CUBS PROJECT IMPACTS
- Increase community support and commitment to care and support of vulnerable children in school that resulted in scholarship award for 5 OVC and university scholarship for affiliates over 18 years.
- Increased number of vulnerable households empowered.
- Improved capacity of caregivers on PSS, IGA skill, Reproductive Health and nutrition education.
- Increased capital, profit and expansion of businesses for empowered vulnerable head of households.
- Improved access to basic health care services.
- Increased community knowledge on prevention and management of HIV/AIDS, STIs, personal hygiene and sanitation.
- Improved systems established to monitor the provision of services to vulnerable children through regular M&E visits.
- Improved documentation
Other partners of RULIN
RULIN has attracted three donors (IHVN, UNDP and CIDA) as a result of capacity building and system strengthening. These project amount to N 10,102,500, N 4,340,000 N5, 000,000 respectively.
- Effective collaboration with communities and appropriate agencies.
- Consistent networking with relevant agencies, LAPO, LACA, PHCs, Public and private hospitals and LGA.
- Establishments of Linkage Standard Schools for sustainability of RULIN educational support to OVC.